Friday, February 3, 2012

friday's fable: on schedules and dreams

This has been a hectic, sleep deprived, caffeine fueled week of madness inducing workloads. I've written ten thousand words in a little than three days, mostly by working through the night and not seeing my bed until close to five in the morning. And through it all has been the constant refrain of 'just 'till the week, just make it through until Friday.'

Scheduling has become less about pacing out my work to avoid burn out and more keeping my head down and promising all sorts of delights and rewards if only I can survive the week. And what, precisely, happens when I finally reach home on Friday? I begin a two day long marathon of sleep.

Endymion and Selene by Edmund Dulac
Endymion, a prince beloved by the goddess Selene, is an eternal sleeper. It's a tale as old as time: goddess sees attractive guy; falls in love; goes to Zeus and asks for the guy to live forever and, incidentally, never age or wake up again. I suppose, if you're a goddess of the moon, sleep is an attractive look on a partner.

And so Endymion lives in dreams, though what he dreams of, is anyone's guess. The madness of the world and deadlines and time no longer touch him, thanks to Selene. But while he is unchanging, dreams are mutable, shifting, strange things. What do those landscapes start to look like, without the concerns of the real world to weigh them down or balance them? When the inner life is given free reign, is it better? Or just disconnected? What does Endymion dream about?

7 comments:

  1. I imagine Selene can send him dreams enough to compensate for not actually living a real life. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'd prefer to be a member of the living world, but a lot of mornings I'll protest that idea. Its all about balance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you suppose if life were more dream-like, more people would wonder if they were dreaming? Maybe that's why real life is not so much like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you start the post by talking about your week and how it transitions perfectly into the fable. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd much rather be awake! My worst dreams leave me shaky all day, and even the best ones are bad because you feel so disappointed once you wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have quite a knack for getting across complex stories in quick and compelling ways! And I agree with Kristina, the structure of this piece draws us right in, with your personal story adding whimsy and light to the fable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever had a lucid dream? I did and I kept having "false awakenings" where I couldn't tell what was real life and what was a dream. I literally felt like I was in Inception.

    Oh and I like your transition here, starts out normal and then becomes fantastical =)

    ReplyDelete