Friday, January 27, 2012

destination zero: sixty seconds of blog shout outs


So, today, after multiple days and weeks of not posting, I’m posting double. Someone, somewhere, most likely has a story with some sort of moral that would address this situation. Am I going to hunt for it? Yeah, not so much.

Instead, I’m making an unscheduled (and thus uncounted) travel post; all places mentioned here will migrate into the sidebar. Assuming, of course, that I figure out how to manage the damn thing. So, destination zero: blogs to visit; don't time me.

Living with Skyrim: I'm not a gamer. My friend, who is dying of the plague and/or organ failure, has spent the better part of two years trying to get me past the free trial of WoW. The only online game anyone has successfully gotten me to play is Wizard101. 

Yes, it's a children's game, move along. 

Having said all that, I'm enjoying Living with Skyrim, despite all evidence pointing to me never playing the game. The thing about the blog, is that it isn't a purely mechanical 'how-to' guide, though those are useful and have saved me ass in Wizard more than once. But following the blog, I get sense of the story and the greater architecture of the world. One of the features I enjoy most about the blog are the real life posts. Those are the ones that make me curious about the game. Rather than paraphrase (badly) Real Life: Werewolves and Vampires is one of my favorites from the blog. 

Through My Eyes: And now for something utterly different, a poetry blog. Poetry is the focus of my English major and I love both the premise of this blog, poetry about eye make up, and the execution which makes it more than poetry about eye make up. Water, Land, and Heaven, the newest post on the blog, is certainly my favorite to date. The make up is beautiful and the poetry embraces that; it's utterly feminine and unapologetically so. I'm interested in seeing what other forms of poetry the writer takes on, as well as what new techniques she'll use with her eye make up. 

Speaking of feminine and unapologetic, Anatagazem: the body gets the mind all hot. It's also a visual blog -- I have no talent in the visual arts, drawing or make up, so I'm entranced by people who do. This is specifically about the human body as inspiration for art and, extrapolating to my own life, that gets to include creative writing as well. Our bodies and why they are amazing is the latest post here too and it's the one that sold me on the blog. The writer is able to embrace her own body and the female body as something beautiful with its imperfections, not in spite of them. That's something that I think is a challenge for all of us, certainly it can be for me and her comment about fake versus natural seemed spot on. I could ramble, but this post is getting long enough as it is. 

There were several other blogs that caught my eye, but I think I'm out of time for this post. Coming soon: more blogs in far more than sixty seconds. Keep an eye on that sidebar for an idea of what all I'll be following. 

If I can get it to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment