Friday, January 13, 2012

an introduction and a forward


Octoberknows is a travelogue of fictional places, cities and scenes only found in stories. This is a space intended less as a review and more as a walk through -- a tour, but without the relentlessly cheerful guide pointing out things of interest that are, without fail, absolutely uninteresting. 

Well, probably without the cheerful part of that description, anyway. 

But it's literature as seen from where it's set and with the expectation that a good book is like a destination, one that invites visitors and is never seen the same way. And so, this is not a guidebook. 

There will be exactly sixty-six places featured in this blog this year from a wide range of literature (a word that, in this case, means anything with words in it and some things without any words at all). There will also be scheduled distractions and meditations to keep company with the random ones. 

I hope that this space, whatever else it is, will be part of your itinerary.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a really interesting concept. I'm interested to see where you'll take us. I like the layout and format of your blog. It's simple, clean, and I think it will work really well with 66 posts. The only thing I can think to ask is, do you not want to see these places? Or will they be places of the past? Looking forward to finding out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like the concept and will definitely check back to see what books you pick. I would agree that a good setting is usually an indicator of a good book--and I am always welcome to book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some obvious fantasy books you could choose for this, but if you haven't read "Wildwood" by Colin Meloy (of the Decemberists) yet I highly reccomend it! It's an awesome, easy YA book that takes place in a mythical forest outside Portland.
    Just a thought! I'm excited to read what you have to write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great concept, and I agree that the blog design so far is clean and easy to read (though the type seems a bit small?) I hope we'll have pictures to go with your posts. It might even be interesting to compare a book with the movie made from a book; how the settings mesh with what you had in your head.

    Have you read The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason? It's a breathtaking example of setting as character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As was said, I'm keen to read more :) this will be cool (if you update that is) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to hear more from you, Genevieve!

    ReplyDelete