Friday, January 27, 2012

friday's fable: house hunting

Before I begin, I have to apologize for the delay in posts and the lack of an itinerary or, really, any sort of indication of the travel portion of this blog. Even when a trip is only through the pages of a book, life still manages to derail it. So the first destination is still a bit of a ways off and I won't post an itinerary for the blog until I'm certain of that date. However, these Friday fables will be an editorial feature going forward. Allons-y!

A good friend of mine is considering buying her first home after years of renting. She also may, or may not, be dying of a combination of the plague and organ failure; we're a bit unsure. However, in the process of her coughing up a lung and me trying to provide support and medical advice from several states away, we started to talk about house hunting. She found a condo she liked, there was a discussion of neighborhoods and what's really important in a home.

Baba Yaga's Hut


[image from? please contact me if it's yours]

Baba Yaga, a Slavic folklore figure, is an opium smoking, child-eating, fairy godmother type, who is also the proud homeowner of a cabin with chicken legs. More often than not, she's the villain and vanquished at the end of the story -- not that it stops her from appearing again -- but it's hard to deny the, ah, 'charm' of her home. For one thing, all the comfort of the house with the potential to pick up and go of an RV. And if her oven has seen more children than apple pies? Well, at least it's large enough to do all the holiday cooking.

The real magic, though, of Baba Yaga's hut is as a place of transformation. You can cross the threshold -- that's the easy bit, after all -- as anything. A child. A novice. An adventurer. But walking out? You can't leave the same as you came in; Baba Yaga forces a change, a challenge that you have to overcome and you carry the scar when you leave.

If you leave.

9 comments:

  1. Well that was just a lovely post! Looking forward to seeing what more you do. I like fairytale and otherwise fictional locations; I want this blog to evolve. Heck, I'd even read it after this class ended if it really took off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (I think ;D) This blog is taking a while to find it's non-chicken-y legs, but it's getting there. I hope to keep it going.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like taking the red pill. Sounds like your friend could use any pill!
    -Kacie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baba Yaga and the Matrix, now that would be an interesting mix.

      Delete
  3. This was great! How wonderful to have a modern voice approach a myth like that of Baba Yaga. Fable Friday is an excellent idea! I'm excited by the potential that still lies in this blog, and I can't wait to hear more from you.

    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fable Friday is something that I was really looking forward to starting. Myths will probably also bleed into the regular locations because I can't resist. There'll be a suggestion post up eventually, so I hope to hear of other myths to write about.

      Delete
  4. Baba Yaga was my FAVORITE story to have my auntie read to me while I was growing up. Fable fridays are an AWESOME idea. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -This is ashley, by the way. i keep forgetting.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Baba Yaga is one of the best; I think I've gotten to like her more as I go back and reread the stories now. I love that fairy tales can grow up with us.

      Delete